We got a late start today after trying out Thee Pitts BBQ in Silverton (just opened). Very tasty!! We took a short ride to Maggie Gulch. The trail is about 4 miles and it took us several hours to complete, counting picture stops. Elevation is just under 12,000 feet. The trail begins at what used to be the town site of Middleton (named because it was at the base of the Middle Mountain, midway between Howardsville and Eureka). About a hundred claims were worked in this area in the 1890s; the town formed in 1894, but never amounted to much. There is still debris on this trail from the Empire Mine, the Intersection Mine & Mill and the Ridgeway Mine. Right now, after you leave the aspens & pines, it becomes kind of barren. That will change in a few weeks when the wildflowers start to pop. This is one of the best wildflower fields around. They will be everywhere. Shelf roads, waterfalls, evidence of old mines, and of course marmots were on today's agenda. Jim drove up; I drove back.








These slopes are not as gentle as they appear;
I was starting to be out of breath when I made it back to the Jeeps.
Looking back to where we started:
Lots of marmot shots, but I won't bore you. Couldn't resist this mom & baby:
Looking at the road home:
Interesting rock formation; too big to get this one home!!
Homeward bound.
No comments:
Post a Comment