Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - Rescued Bryan

Sorry, the blog has been idle for a few days, but my computer crashed!  It was absolute dead in the water. We are fortunate to have met a fellow camper that teaches Microsoft certifications at a technical college.  He was able to restore some functions.   I still am not able to open or use any of my "Word" functions.  Misty is mailing me me my Windows 7 disk, so hopefully, that will solve that problem.  Patrick and Misty are my new heroes.  At any rate, I will try to get the blog up-to-date.

We started out Wednesday morning with the intentions of taking Engineer Pass to at least Point O.  Just above Animas Forks, we encountered a young man pushing a tire down the mountain.  We had noticed several vehicles had stopped to talk to him, and we did also.  He had TWO flats the day before; had spent the night in his truck way above Cinnamon Pass and had been up since dawn trying to walk to Eureka, a town he saw on a map.  Unknown to him, Eureka is a ghost town -- absolute NOTHING there.  We had a tire sealant inflator and tried that on this tire, but it was damaged on the sidewall.  There was NO WAY we were going to leave him to try to continue his journey to Silverton.  We loaded up him and his tire.  Maggie rode in his lap.  We had not planned on staying out all day and had not packed lunch, but I did have some cheese, chips, water, etc.  He was so grateful.  It would have probably taken him till late in the evening to make it into Silverton.  I could not believe so many people just chatted with him and went on their way.  We dropped him off at the only station/repair shop in town.  They also sell tires.  Hopefully, he was able to work things out with them and get back to his truck with two new tires.  All I know is that he was a very polite fella named Bryan . . . and now he knows why you can't drive street tires on the trails!

So here's just a few pix from the road going out of town towards Animas Forks.  We have the rest of our lives to drive the trails and hopefully that will be a lot of days. 

1 comment:

  1. Your disk is at the mercy of UPS! Kind of scary! I'm glad to see you got your computer working enough to do your blogs...I didn't realize you were up and was surprised when I was loading the link onto Michael & Sarah's computer! Sarah laughed soooo hard at the snowball picture...Little evil thing I have raised! I've had lots of smiles from Michael when he looks at your blog...which is a lot for him right now. Little booger still isn't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete